Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The sock monster strikes again

This is getting ridiculous.

After losing two socks last time I did my laundry, this time I made a point of checking round everywhere scrupulously at every stage of the laundry process - as the load went into the washing machine, on its perilous journey between the washing machine and the dryer, etc. And I still managed to end up with two odd socks.

The difference this time was that these socks weren't even mine! I have never seen these socks before. They're very nice though - I'd probably be tempted to just keep them if they weren't odd and therefore completely useless. Perhaps I'll take them back to the laundry room and leave them somewhere as an offering to appease the sock monsters.

But for now, it's back to Marx I go... (Incidentally, I think it's a mark of the circles I move in that when I complained my brain was hurting from reading Marx yesterday the guy I was talking to said, "Is this for work or for pleasure?")

4 Comments:

At 6:53 pm, October 25, 2005, Blogger Christine said...

I know this is spam, but I'm leaving it here because I found it mildly amusing. (Maybe Marx has sent me delirious.) I'm still trying to decide whether to turn on the word recognition thing which makes you fill in an extra little bit when you comment to prove you're not spam. What do people think?

 
At 7:55 pm, October 25, 2005, Blogger Mark Taylor said...

I'm all for it, as long as you have words with Blogger and ensure that all the words are related to private road construction.

 
At 9:03 pm, October 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reference: Eddie Izzard, Unrepeatable

There is a demigod/gremlin that lives at the back of every washing machine, the god of washing, and everyone must make an offering of a sock, which he takes using chopsticks.

But more importantly, why is it always an even number of socks that disappear but NEVER a matching pair?

Take care!

 
At 8:25 am, October 28, 2005, Blogger Happy Crescendo said...

Christine: I suggest you arm yourself with as many spare socks as you can find and appease the gremlin/demigod of socks before you have no matching pairs left.
But if the socks you found weren't even yours then I wouldn't bother.
;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home