Friday, February 18, 2005

The many adventures of Hamish McKilt

So, I just got back from Wales with Chantal. We were visiting her family friends Eddie & Jenny - they have the most amazing house in the whole world ever! It's all giant and sort of higgledy-piggledy, in that there are probably at least 5 different ways of getting from any given room to another. It's like Alice in Wonderland and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe all rolled into one! Well, I suppose technically it's not really like that at all, but in my head it makes sense.

Anyway... most of our time in Wales seemed to be spent on two immensely productive activities:
1. Writing the lyrics for "You Let Them Get Piers, Don't Let Them Get Me" - a song for Chantal's friend's musical about Edward II (her favourite king), to be sung by his lover Hugh de Spenser. So, you know, if ever a musical based on the life of Edward II makes it big, it's highly likely that I had a hand in it. (I don't imagine many musicals get written about medieval kings.) Woo!

2. Producing the traditional evening entertainment for everybody - this time a murder mystery with world-famous detectives Hamish McKilt (me) and Paddy O'Shamrock (Chantal). I was planning to put this on my blog because we had so much hilarity doing it that it seemed to come under the category of 'amusing incidents I ought to share', but having started I've realised that there's really no way to convey the hilarity, which makes me kind of sad. Still, we're planning to write up the script some time, so feel free to request a copy. If nothing else, it's done wonders for my Scottish accent.

So, after that largely pointlesss ramble, the lesson for today is: if ever you need help with a medieval musical or a fake Scottish accent, you know who to call. I'm sure you'll agree that's a lesson well learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home