Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Three down, seven to go

So, my exams started today - English Literature and General Studies. I'm not really sure how they went, but I suppose "as well as could be expected" is about fair. And I managed to work the words "bokeler", "forpined" and "ercedekene's" into my Chaucer essay, not to mention crowbarring four random names into my Rover essay despite having next to no idea who any of them were (Anne Marshall Quin, Lady Castlemaine, William Wycherly and John Dryden, just for the record), so I'm counting it as a victory. Well, except the bit in the General Studies 'Science, Mathematics & Technology' paper where they started throwing crazy science words at me, like 'angular mean speed' and 'hyperbolic' and 'parabolic', and I realised that two years without any science have made any science-related knowledge I may ever have possessed trickle slowly out of my head, never to return. This saddened me briefly, but then I realised that I have now sat the exam which probably constitutes the last time I would need such knowledge in my everyday life (and even then, 'need' is a bit inaccurate, considering that my General Studies grade in no way affects whether I meet the conditions for my university offers). So, in summary, all is well. Well, except for the imminent Psychology exam and associated frantic learning of crazy names like 'Jellinek' and 'Abey-Wickrama', but as a wise man once told me, "It can't all be strawberries."

3 Comments:

At 10:12 pm, June 15, 2005, Blogger Mark Taylor said...

Of course, it would have been even more impressive if you'd worked the words "bokeler", "forpined" and "ercedekene's" into one of your other exams. Just a thought.

You keep up the good work and I'll keep up the psychic transmissions of success.

 
At 10:48 am, June 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, I'm not the only one who managed to get Barbara Castlemaine into an essay, having now realised that she was not just a fictitious character in my book. Life is good. Good luck with the psycho Chris, I'm sure all those exciting words will stick eventually. Did you ever remember what the man and his moose did?

 
At 9:45 pm, June 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only got into uni becasue I did better than expected in General Studies, I thought it was pointless too!!!
Don't knock it, it can make the difference between average and a fluke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home