Friday, August 19, 2005

Pencils: an update

Those of you who can stretch your minds back to Pencil Anecdote of the Day way back in the mists of time (well, June-ish) will no doubt be very excited to learn that on a recent trip to the Lake District, I visited the Cumberland Pencil Museum! Next to this masterpiece of pencilly joy, all other museums seem suddenly pointless (oh dear, an inadvertant and terrible pun... argh, I hate those). If you're ever in Keswick, I strongly recommend that you visit the Pencil Museum, or face the consequences. (These consequences include: missing out on the Pencil Museum; suffering eternal regret that you missed out on the Pencil Museum; facing the scorn and ridicule of your friends for missing out on the Pencil Museum.)

As the sign outside proclaims, the Cumberland Pencil Museum is "an all-weather attraction". Fortunately, it was pissing down with rain when we went, so we didn't have to test this claim - I'm sceptical of whether many people would spurn rowing on Derwentwater, tea gardens and pleasant walks for a day inside the Pencil Museum if it was gloriously sunny. (Fools.)

So, what did you see inside the Pencil Museum, I hear you cry. Well, for a start, we saw those funky prisoner-escape wartime pencils that were in the Pencil Anecdote - complete with detailed maps of Germany and tiny compasses. I can honestly say that this was one of the most brilliant museum exhibits I have ever encountered. We also saw several outsize pencils (when I finally get my hands on a data cable and things, I'll upload photos of Mark next to the World's Largest, and a slightly smaller one with a sign next to it saying "This is me at the Cumberland Pencil Museum"). Verily, it was the Grooviest Museum Ever.

I don't want to spoil the many pencilly surprises that await you in the Pencil Museum in case you ever go, but just in case you're not yet convinced that this is a funky place for a day out, I'll leave you with the text from one of the little information board thingies in the exhibition about the history of pencil making.

"1751 - REDCOATS ARE STATIONED AT BORROWDALE MINE FOR ITS PROTECTION.
PENCILS ARE S C A R C E."

1 Comments:

At 9:51 pm, August 21, 2005, Blogger Mark Taylor said...

Oh yes, once there are photos they will understand. They will beg us to take them to the Pencil Museum! Beg us! Oh yes indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home