Thursday, April 13, 2006

Ridiculous Signs of Stratford-upon-Avon

Well, after a long absence broken only by a token post prompted largely by a mini-whine from David at the Lion King Party, I'm finally blogging properly at last. All cheer, etc. And just to say sorry for my recent rubbishness, I thought I'd bring you the Avocados-on-Toast exclusive guide to the many ridiculous signs of Stratford-upon-Avon, where I've been on holiday with Mark for the past few days.

I suppose normal people on holiday in Stratford would take lots of photos of pretty riverside scenes and Shakespeareyness, and in fairness, we did quite a bit of that. But a probably-larger-than-sane proportion of our holiday photos consist of the various hilarious and/or foolish signs we saw whilst out and about, mostly on our ten-mile hike along the Avon, undertaken backwards from a twenty-year-old guide book (but that's another post). And thanks to the wonders of modern technology, here they are for your entertainment. (You might need to click to see the enlarged versions to fully appreciate / actually read the signs - I can't be bothered to resize them now.)



In case you can't see from the photo, this fence is plainly not electrified. In fact, it is made of some kind of bandage-like material, and was in fact knotted together in a few places.



Never mind a bull in a china shop, this is just a recipe for disaster...



Please drive carefully, children...



Keep out of where, exactly? I think this sign is even better than this one (hilarious 'no fishing' signs seem to just follow us around).



This is plainly the best name for a fencing company ever.



...And this is plainly the best name for a take-away pizza place ever.

Well, that's all for now, folks. Join us again for more hilarious signs next time me and Mark go on holiday together - for some reason they tend to gravitate towards us...

8 Comments:

At 9:15 pm, April 13, 2006, Blogger Mark Taylor said...

Hee hee hee.

 
At 11:21 pm, April 14, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I must say, some excellent sign hunting there. Though, did you actually touch the electrified fence, to check?

 
At 11:37 am, April 15, 2006, Blogger Christine said...

It wasn't exactly hunting, as such - they just sort of appeared wherever we went. And yes, I did indeed touch the electrified fence. It was not electrified. I did contemplate going "Aaaarrgh!" and leaping backwards as if it were, but I probably would've just fallen in the river, and then I'd have looked both silly and wet.

 
At 11:56 am, April 16, 2006, Blogger Happy Crescendo said...

Watch out Chrissieberry! The ridiculous sign gremlins are on the loose and they're coming...

 
At 3:06 pm, April 16, 2006, Blogger Happy Crescendo said...

P.S. Lion King Party? Its my duty as The Lion King's biggest fan to order you to explain yourself!!

 
At 5:01 pm, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange signs. What can you do, eh?

I do feel obligated to point you towards . It's a good year or so old now, but it's something we found in Milton Keynes during a discussion about how everything in that town is planned by committee. I laughed far too loud when i saw it.

oh, and "Hi."

 
At 5:02 pm, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, crap. I could swear I closed that A tag. And I will. Fuck.

 
At 5:05 am, August 02, 2006, Blogger Char said...

Just wait til you see the signs I have from China... such gems include "No Tossing" and "Slip Carefully". Ah the joy!!! xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home